Sunday, January 24, 2010

Not Just Another Saturday

This past Saturday I was driving and listening to the radio as I usually do. On the news break, it was reported that an official ceremony was taking place in Iraq. The Marines were leaving and transferring their presence to the Army. The ceremony was taking place in the Al Anbar Province of Iraq.

I knew the day would eventually come that this chapter of my life would come to a close, but it is so bittersweet, painful, sad and scary. This was the last part of Heath's life while he was alive. It's so hard to let go, but I am thankful that the very area that Heath was killed was also the place the Marines ended their service in the Iraq War.

I know this news clip probably passed by with little attention, but for me it had my complete attention. I pray that this pacified area will spur other areas to continue to move forward with peace. This was not just another Saturday for me but the turning of the page and ending of one chapter in my life and hopefully the start of another chapter. Thank you to all our Marines and Semper Fi.

God Bless,

Scott

2 comments:

  1. I saw it and my husband and I both said "Hey look". lol Anbar Iraq?? That is wonderful! You are right, there were probably not many that paid close attention to that. My son's first depolyment right in the middle of Anbar Province. All the men and women that fought and sacraficed their lives should be included in the ceremony...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. It just seems so anticlimatic and to hear it so briefly mentioned made it that much more like an after thought.

    ReplyDelete