Wednesday, September 8, 2010

9/11 Remembered

The following is a 9/11 tribute that I wrote in 2007. It captured what I felt in my heart. I share this each year as my way of reflecting on the tragic events of 9/11 that forever changed my families lives. I hope it touches you in a special way.

9/11 Remembered

I remember 9/11 so vividly. The drive into work was picture perfect. I remember thinking what an awesome early fall day, sunny, warm, and the sky was brillian blue. As I sat at my desk with the radio on, I heard the announcer break in that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Centers.

I remember on 9/11, thinking maybe there was fog and a small Cessna had unfortunately lost course and crashed. Shortly thereafter, as a news reporter was interviewing an eye witness, there were screams as the second plane crashed into the second tower. Then, everything seemed to stop. Could it be terrorist? My employer sent us home and we were glued to the TV as the drama unfolded. Little did I know then that not only did the world change that day, but how dramatically and intimately it would change my family and life.

I remember on 9/11, that my son, Heath, would say he was going to fight for his country. I did not know then that he would lose his life fighting a war so his family could have a safer future.

I remember 9/11 as the day, he left to travel to this foreign field of battle, it would be the last day he would be alive on American soil. A day of last phone texts, last phone calls, and the day I began to endlessly worry about a son going to war.

I remember 9/11 as a bittersweet time of fond last memories and of the beginning of long-term pain and heartache.
I remember on 9/11, all the lives lost, the destruction, the end of a way of life America had known.

On 9/11, I pray that God will be with all the families that lost their special loved ones that day and with all the families of the brave men and women who have lost their lives fighting for our national security and freedom since then. May God give wisdom to our leaders that will lead us ultimately to a safer, free world.

God bless America, God bless you and may God bless our men and women serving our country.

Scott Warner

No comments:

Post a Comment